1444 NE Weidler St
Portland, Oregon 97232
Tel: (503) 288-1614
August 3, 2012 – Breakfast
Written by: Second Stomach
We had just arrived in Portland and it was still very early. Finally, we found a place to have a quick bite to eat. In the display, there was an array of baked goods. Fortunately, there was also a menu for some simple hot breakfast items.
Here’s a look at the menu at the counter:
Our breakfast today:
Buttermilk Biscuit with Cheddar and Egg
Blizzard doesn’t drink coffee so she ordered a hot chocolate. We were so impressed with the presentation! Blizzard commented that the waves design was incredible but the actual taste of the hot chocolate was quite average.
Here’s my breakfast this morning:
Surprisingly, my coffee wasn’t very impressive. I’d classify it as average, at best. But, I really needed a coffee this morning especially since we woke up so early to catch our flight!
Buttermilk Biscuit with Cheddar and Egg – $5.25
– Blizzard and I both ordered the same thing for breakfast. The picture above is my biscuit and it looked better than hers. Unfortunately, her biscuit had multiple burned spots. This breakfast sandwich had melted cheddar and a scrabbled egg sandwiched by 2 buttermilk biscuits.
– This was served warm and the flavor was predominantly cheddar. It was so strong in the cheddar that I couldn’t really taste the egg. The cheddar and egg was soft and this contrasted nicely with the crispy buttermilk biscuit.
– The best part of this breakfast sandwich was really the biscuit. The biscuit was very crispy yet buttery. I enjoyed it so much that I went and looked for the recipe.
Grand Central Cafe has their own book featuring many of the recipes that they use to make their baked goods. Here’s the recipe for the buttermilk biscuits:
Here’s my bill today:
Grand Central Cafe features pastries, sandwiches, soups, salads, and ofcourse, hot beverages. It’s a casual place to grab and go something or sit down for a very quick meal. Their true strength is really the baked goods. After having the buttermilk biscuit, I’m anxious to try the recipe to see if I can duplicate the same result.
– Casual and quick.
– Baked goods.
– A good range of menu options for a cafe.
– Hot beverages are fairly average for a cafe.