392 East Hastings Street
Tel: (604) 258-4099
May 4, 2013 – Lunch
Written by: Second Stomach
Right on Hastings Street, just a little outside of Chinatown, is a little Vietnamese sandwich shop that is operated by a cute Vietnamese couple. The shop is really very small – with about 7 small tables, a small counter for those wishing to get a quick bite, and newspapers lying around. The menu is limited and simple – Vietnamese sandwiches, a few noodle and rice dishes. Most people stop in here for Vietnamese sandwiches (banh mi).
I decided to stop in to pick up some lunch for Snowman and I.
Here’s what I picked up:
Our lunch today – salad rolls are in the middle of the 2 sandwiches:
Salad Rolls – $6
- These salad rolls were freshly made and they were HUGE. They were probably at least 1+1/2 times the size of the salad rolls that you would typically see at Vietnamese restaurants.
- Each salad roll was relatively loosely wrapped – with 4 prawns each, lots of vermicelli, and lettuce, and a bit of basil.
- Unfortunately, taste-wise, this was quite bland. I think it needed a lot more basil and the sauce wasn’t quite right. I liked that the sauce was warm but it was quite runny and didn’t have much flavor. Usually there’s more peanut and chillies but we weren’t picking these flavors up.
Vietnamese Subs (Banh Mi)
Chicken Sandwich and Meatball Sandwich – $3 each
- The chicken sandwich (at the top) was like having chicken salad. Both sandwiches had red onion, cilantro, carrot, pickled cucumber, and radish
- The bread was a bit dense and a little crispy on the outside
- Overall, the sandwiches were relatively small with not too much filling- I found them to be more of a snack.
Lunch today came to about$12 including tax. It was very affordable.
I found overall, the food quality at Truong Giang Vietnamese Sandwich & Coffee to be a little below average compared to other Vietnamese cafes. However, the value is quite good here – sandwiches and rolls were made fresh to order quite quickly, and could be a good place to have a very quick bite to sit in or for take-out.
- Good value.
- Quick service
- Food quality a bit below average
- Sandwiches are on the smaller side (but then again, sandwiches only cost $3 each)