3250 – 4151 Hazelbridge Way
(Food court at Aberdeen Center)
Tel: (604) 295-6656
April 28, 2013 – Afternoon snack
Written by: Second Stomach
The last time I was at Aberdeen Centre, I saw someone bring back to the table a sizzling plate of poutine. I knew I was going to try that someday. It turned out that I was at Aberdeen today and all I could think of was to try the poutine.
Teppan Kitchen, located at the food court of Aberdeen center, offers a number of other Japanese style sizzling plates like steak, chicken, pork, and fish on rice. But, today, I wanted to try the TK fries – which is their twist on the poutine.
Cold Milk Tea
TK Fries – $7.50 & Cold Milk Tea – $1
Here’s our order: TK Fries with a bowl of miso soup and cold milk tea. The cold milk tea was only $1 because we ordered an item off their menu (otherwise it would be $2).
TK Fries – $7.50
- This plate was really hot. Everything was sizzling for quite a while. We had to wait a little bit before digging in. I think this was a true advantage of having the poutine served on a grill – it really ensured that the fries were steaming hot.
- As a result, the fries were really hot. The fries were crispy except for the ones that were drowned in gravy. Overall, I felt there was just the right amount of gravy – the sizzling helped to evaporate any excess gravy.
- On top, was some tomato sauce with ground beef and green onion. It definitely gave this dish a different twist. Like the traditional poutine, there were cheese curds here but there weren’t many. It was probably the biggest drawback of this plate – there just wasn’t enough cheese.
- Overall, both Snowman and I really enjoyed this dish – it was satisfying and smelled so good. We truly enjoyed having our fries sizzling and it was served in a shallow pan which allowed a good distribution of gravy. Actually, the plate looked quite large because the pan was a wide circle, but it wasn’t really a big serving. Snowman said he would definitely get this again but wished it was a bit cheaper considering the serving size was small.
- A miso soup accompanied this meal – which wasn’t very good. It tasted watered down.
Here’s the bill for our snack today:
Teppan kitchen offers you a Japanese grill experience through offering sizzling plate options. Today, we tried the TK fries – their version of a poutine, which was incredibly tasty. The portion size was on the smaller size so it was a bit expensive for what you get but overall, we really enjoyed it and would come back again.